18-Year-Old Arrested In Bethel Park Threat
BETHEL PARK, Pa. (WPXI) - An 18-year-old has been arrested in connection with a shooting threat made against Bethel Park High School, district officials said. In a letter to parents, the school district said the Bethel Park Police Department on Saturday was made aware of an online post that threatened the high school. The threat was for Monday. Police identified the man suspected of being responsible for the threat as Xavier Cisneros. According to a criminal complaint, Cisneros claimed he would send a SWAT team to the school on March 11 and that a shooting was planned for March 18. Police say he also posted similar threats on message boards online which caught the attention of the FBI. Additional police were present at the high school Monday.
Jury Expected To Begin Deliberating Wolowski Penalty
WASHINGTON, Pa. - The penalty phase continues for a Washington man convicted of murder. The jury is tasked with determining if Brandon Wolowski should face the death penalty or not. Wolowski was convicted by the same jury last week following three days of testimony before Washington County Common Pleas Court Judge John DiSalle. He was found guilty of first degree murder for the January 2013 killing of 37-year-old Matthew Matthias and the attempted homicide of Matthias’ girlfriend 45 –year-old Michelle Powell. Wolowkski was also found guilty of aggravated assault and robbery.
Missing Man Found Safe
WAYNESBURG, Pa. - (WPXI) - Pennsylvania State Police in Waynesburg say they found a missing 20-year-old man around four-thirty Monday afternoon. Troopers tell WJPA News that Kyle Martin had apparently gone to a junkyard next door to his home, went into a heated building and fell asleep in one of the vehicles that was housed there. Martin was last seen around 6:30 p.m. Sunday on Williamson Hill Road in Dilliner and police were concerned for his safety because they said he could be at special risk for harm and or injury.
Fire Destroys South Fayette Township Home
SOUTH FAYETTE TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A fire spread through a house, displacing a family Monday morning in South Fayette Township, officials said. Firefighters said the call came in shortly after 5 a.m. as a dryer fire, though investigators have not determined the exact cause. A couple lives in the Fifth Avenue home with their son, granddaughter, dog and cat. The couple, their granddaughter and their pets were home when the fire started, and they all got out safely. The family said the fire started from the dryer in the basement, but it had been turned off since it was last used Sunday night. “I opened the dryer door and smoke just began to pour out of there, so my husband came over to look and I was calling 911 and he said there are flames coming out now,” Marion Miller said. A fire marshal is investigating. The Red Cross is providing assistance to the family.
Judge In Rosfeld Case Rules Jury Can Hear Evidence
PITTSBURGH (AP) - Jurors in the case of a white western Pennsylvania police officer accused of shooting to death a black teenager last summer will hear evidence about a drive-by shooting that happened about 15 minutes before Antwon Rose II was killed. A judge Monday allowed testimony at the trial of Michael Rosfeld regarding the drive-by shooting that involved the vehicle in which 17-year-old Rose was a passenger. The trial begins Tuesday. Rosfeld's lawyer has said Rose's shooting was justified. Allegheny County Judge Alexander Bicket isn't letting jurors hear details about a robbery that Rosfeld's lawyer says involved Rose before the drive-by incident and before his fatal shooting. Bicket says his decision may be revisited. Rose was shot three times, including in the back, as he ran from a vehicle Rosfeld had pulled over.
Pediatrician Sentenced To At Least 79 Years For Assaults
EBENSBURG, Pa. (AP) - A former Pennsylvania pediatrician has been sentenced to at least 79 years in prison for sexually assaulting 31 children, most of them patients. Dr. Johnnie Barto of Johnstown was sentenced Monday on dozens of counts, including aggravated indecent assault and child endangerment. Prosecutors say the 71-year-old spent decades abusing children in the exam room at his pediatric practice and at local hospitals. Nineteen people gave victim impact statements both in person and through a prosecutor ahead of the sentencing. They described how he destroyed their lives, caused them to feel hopelessness and made them fear doctors. His wife, Linda Barto, was among them. She says he "spent his whole sinister life lying and sneaking around so he could carry on his abuse uninterrupted." The attorney general's office had asked for 31 to 62 years in prison.
Pennsylvania's Prison System Banning All Tobacco
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - Pennsylvania's prison system is banning all tobacco products inside every facility's secure perimeter, starting July 1. Corrections Secretary John Wetzel announced the new policy Monday, citing the success of existing tobacco prohibitions in three state correctional institutions and Quehanna Boot Camp. After July 1 all tobacco products in the possession of inmates or staff will be deemed contraband. The policy applies to cigarettes, cigars, tobacco, tobacco substitutes, lighters, pipes, pipe cleaners, filters, rolling papers, roller aprons and rollers. Inmates and employees will be allowed to use non-refillable e-cigarettes that have been approved by the prison system, within designated areas. Inmates will be given access to smoking cessation programs, educational materials and support to help them quit. They'll be able to purchase nicotine replacement therapy patches.
Three Dead In Dutch Shooting
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - Dutch authorities have reduced the threat level in the central city of Utrecht back to four out of five following the arrest of the suspect in the city's deadly tram shooting. The country's counterterror coordinator announced the scaling down of the threat level in a tweet Monday evening. He says the decision was prompted by "the arrest of the main suspect of the shooting." A level four terror alert is in line with the rest of the Netherlands. The decision came shortly after police announced the arrest at the end of a nationally televised press conference. Three people were killed in Monday's shooting and five were wounded, according to police.
New Zealand Gunman Acted Alone
CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand (AP) - New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush says the gunman who killed 50 people and wounded others at two Christchurch mosques acted alone but may have had support. Australian white supremacist Brenton Tarrant was arrested moments after the shootings on Friday. He was charged with a single count of murder and a judge said Saturday he may face other charges. Bush said at a Monday news conference that "We believe absolutely there was only one attacker responsible for this." But he added that the support of other people hasn't been ruled out and is "a very, very important part of our investigation."
Two Missing In Mid-West Flooding
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) - The late-winter flood has compromised about 200 miles of Missouri River levees in four Midwestern states. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says levees that have been topped or breached in Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri and Kansas contributed to the flooding that has forced hundreds of people from their homes. Three deaths have been blamed on floodwaters, and two men in Nebraska have been missing since Thursday. The National Weather Service says river levels have topped off along the Missouri River at Omaha, Nebraska, as well as at several Missouri River tributaries in Nebraska. High flows and water levels remain throughout the river basin south of Sioux City, Iowa.
Cyclone Death Toll May Be More Than One-Thousand
JOHANNESBURG (AP) - Mozambique's President Filipe Nyusi says that more than 1,000 may have by killed by Cyclone Idai. Speaking to state Radio Mozambique, Nyusi said Monday that although the official death count is currently 84, he believes the toll will be more than 1,000. Nyusi spoke after flying over the port city of Beira and viewing the flooding and devastation. He said he saw bodies floating in the flooded areas. The Red Cross said that 90 percent of Beira, a city of 500,000, had been damaged or destroyed. Beira has been severely battered by the cyclone which cut off electricity, forced the airport to shut down and cut off road access to the rest of the country. Cyclone Idai first hit Beira last week and then moved inland to Zimbabwe and Malawi.
Trump Speaks With General Motors CEO
General Motors says in a statement released Sunday evening that the future of plants scheduled to be closed "will be resolved between GM and the UAW," referring to the United Auto Workers union. The automaker also says that it has "opportunities available for virtually all impacted employees" at plants that are to be shuttered. "We remain open to talking with all the affected stakeholders, but our main focus remains on our employees and offering them jobs in our plants where we have growth opportunities," the company said. General Motors' statement came after President Donald Trump announced that he has spoken to General Motors CEO Mary Barra to vent his frustration about the automaker's closure of an Ohio manufacturing plant while the U.S. economy continues to fare well. Trump disclosed his conversation with Barra in a Sunday evening tweet that followed earlier posts during the weekend that blasted GM for closing its Lordstown plant and putting 1,700 people out of work. Those tweets criticized GM for letting down the U.S. and urged the company to reopen the plant or find a new owner quickly.
In his latest tweet, Trump said he reiterated to Barra that GM should do something quickly, including potentially selling the plant.
Dick Dale, King Of Surf Guitar, Dead At 81
LOS ANGELES (AP) - The man who earned the title King of the Surf Guitar has died at age 81. His former bassist Sam Bolle says Dick Dale passed away Saturday night. No other details were available. Dale played pounding, blaringly loud power-chord instrumentals in the early 1960s on songs like "Miserlou" and "Let's Go Trippin." Dale liked to say it was he and not the Beach Boys who invented surf music. Some critics have said he was right. An avid surfer, he began to build a devoted fan base across Los Angeles in the late 1950s and early 1960s with repeated appearances at Newport Beach's old Rendezvous Ballroom. It was there that he played "Miserlou" and other compositions at wall-rattling volume on a custom-made Fender Stratocaster guitar. Dale says he developed the style by trying to merge the sounds of crashing ocean waves with rockabilly melodies.