Latest "Powerline" Survey
This Sunday’s WJPA Vinyl Countdown replays the hits of March 5, 1962. That’s when:
- Elvis Presley released a new single on which one of the Jordanaires joined him on lead vocals.
- Brian Hyland switched labels and songwriters and came up with yet another top 20 hit.
- The Carousels entered the top 40 with a ballad that would go on to be number one in Western Pennsylvania – and virtually unheard in the rest of the country.
- B Bumble and the Stingers had a brand new pianist – and their biggest hit to date – with a rock version of “The Nutcracker.”
- Dee Dee Sharp, who was given no label credit for her duet with Chubby Checker on “Slow Twistin,” released what would become her signature single – “Mashed Potato Time.”
And the number one song on WJPA was a dance hall favorite by the duo Don & Juan.
You’ll hear that hit and of the big hits of March 5, 1962 this Sunday at noon on WJPA.
The Vinyl Countdown is presented by The Guitar Gallery in Canonsburg & by Slovenian Savings & Loan.