FBI, Shooter In Michigan Church Attack Motivated By Hate

November 1, 2025 4:37 am

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — The FBI has confirmed that the man who opened fire in a Michigan church and set it ablaze was motivated by “anti-religious beliefs” against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. While friends of the gunman in the deadly shooting have said he long harbored hatred against the church, the FBI had previously declined to specify the motivation behind the attack that left four people dead and the church burned to the ground, except to say it was “targeted.” The gunman, Thomas Jacob Sanford, was killed by responding law enforcement. The FBI confirmed the motive on Friday. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is commonly known as the Mormon church.

McDonald Police Warn Of Online Dating Extortion Scam

November 1, 2025 4:33 am

MCDONALD,Pa. -(WPXI)- A local police department is alerting the public to a scam that is targeting people dating online. The McDonald Police Department reported receiving multiple complaints from people who are victims of an extortion scam over the past few weeks. Officers said the suspect will try to strike up a relationship with victims on social media and dating apps and build a relationship. Police said the scammer will obtain compromising pictures of the scam and then threaten to post them on social media unless money is transferred to them. Residents are reminded to always be cautious online.

Unidentified Remains Of 3 People Transferred To Israel

November 1, 2025 4:32 am

DEIR AL-BALAH, Gaza Strip (AP) — The Red Cross says it has transferred the unidentified remains of three people to Israel but an Israeli military official says they were still being examined and may not be those of missing hostages. The official, who spoke Friday on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak to the media, said the remains had been turned over to the Red Cross by Hamas in Gaza. The handover follows Israel’s return earlier Friday of the bodies of 30 Palestinians to authorities in Gaza. That completed an exchange after militants turned over remains of two hostages, in a sign that the tense Israel-Hamas ceasefire agreement is edging forward.

Accident Closes Interstate 70 For Several Hours

November 1, 2025 4:26 am

An accident between two tractor trailers and an SUV caused the closure of Interstate 70 in both directions late Friday night. According to 9-1-1, the collision caused the SUV to roll over onto the median. The collision between the tractor trailers caused one of them to leak an unknown substance onto the road. The accident occurred at 10:40 pm at mile marker 31 between the Bentleyville and Kammerer exits. Two people were transported to Penn Highlands Mon Valley Hospital.

Car Crashes Into Home In City

November 1, 2025 4:24 am

Emergency responders were called to the 300 block of Central Avenue in the City of Washington early Saturday morning with a report of a car crashing into a home. According to 9-1-1, shortly after 2:00 am, Police, fire and medics arrived to find the car still in the wall of the home. By the time responders arrived, the driver fled on foot. No injuries were reported.

Feedback Sought For Chartiers Township Bridge Project

November 1, 2025 3:56 am

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and the Federal Highway Administration unveiled a virtual plans display for feedback on a Washington County bridge replacement project. The public is invited to offer feedback on the Route 519 Over Branch of Chartiers Run Bridge Project that will occur in Chartiers Township. The project will replace the existing structure with a precast reinforced box culvert. Participants may offer feedback here. The public comment period is from October 30 through November 13.

Time To “Fall Back” & Change Smoke Alarm Batteries

November 1, 2025 3:53 am

The Shapiro Administration is reminding residents that this weekend’s clock change to Standard Time is a perfect time to check the batteries in all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Officials state that working smoke alarms can decrease the risk of dying in a house fire by as much as one half. They also say that once a fire starts, you may have fewer than 2 minutes to safely exit. Escape plans are also critical. The plans should include two ways out of each room, a designated meeting place outside, and a method to assist young children, older adults and those with functional needs. Free smoke alarms are available. You can register for one here.

Governor Takes Steps To Continue SNAP Benefits

November 1, 2025 1:22 am

Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro announced new state-led efforts on Friday to support Pennsylvania’s charitable food network and the two million Pennsylvanians who rely on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) after the Trump Administration refused to fund SNAP benefits in November amid the ongoing federal government shutdown.  Shapiro is driving out $5 million in state funding immediately to Feeding Pennsylvania to distribute through its network of food banks across the Commonwealth. The Governor also signed a declaration of disaster emergency to expedite the delivery of Commonwealth funding and ensure relief reaches Pennsylvanians as quickly as possible. The declaration will allow state resources to be driven out more quickly, streamline contracting, and provide the Governor with additional tools to address the harm caused by the federal government shutdown.  “Nearly two million Pennsylvanians rely on SNAP every month — and they shouldn’t have to wonder where their next meal will come from because of the dysfunction in Washington,” said Governor Shapiro. “There is no substitute for the federal government’s decision not to release SNAP benefits, but my Administration is stepping up to use every tool we have — state resources, private sector support, and the compassion of our communities — to make sure our food banks are fully stocked and our families are fed. The federal government has the money to keep people fed — they’re just refusing to use it. In Pennsylvania, I won’t let our families or food banks shoulder that burden alone, and I’m not going to stand by while the federal government lets Pennsylvanians go hungry.”

Instacart & DoorDash Offering Discounts

October 31, 2025 3:10 pm

(AP) – Instacart says it will offer customers who receive SNAP benefits 50% on their next grocery order to ease strain as the government prepares to cut off payments. The benefit will be available even if payments are made as scheduled on Nov. 1. Instacart said any customer who placed an order in October using a SNAP/EBT card will be eligible. Instacart is one of several companies reacting to the government’s plan to freeze payments to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program because of the government shutdown. DoorDash is also planning to waive service and delivery fees for an estimated 300,000 orders for SNAP recipients in November.

Judges Order Trump To Fund The SNAP Program

October 31, 2025 2:53 pm

BOSTON (AP) — Two federal judges have ruled that the Trump administration must continue to fund the SNAP food aid program using contingency funds during the government shutdown. The rulings Friday came a day before the payments were due to be halted. SNAP is used by 1 in 8 Americans to buy groceries and is a major piece of the nation’s social safety net. The administration has said it can’t fund SNAP with the government shuttered. Democratic state officials challenged the plan to freeze SNAP payments starting Nov. 1, saying there’s a legal obligation to keep providing the assistance for low-income people. Judges agreed, but gave the administration some leeway on the details.