April 10, 2020 2:42 am
State Senator Camera Bartolotta (R-46) conducted a telephone town hall meeting Thursday afternoon. Bartolotta gathered experts throughout the region to discuss issues related to the Covid-19 pandemic. Terry Wiltrout, Vice President of the Washington Health System summarized testing numbers. WHS tested 927 people, 818 tested negative, 37 positive and the remaining tests are still pending results. Wiltrout stated that 19 offices are currently equipped for telemedicine and 770 cases have been treated this way. Ami Gatts, Director Southwest Corner Workforce Development Board told residents that all personnel are working remotely, but unemployment claims, job placements and classes are still being offered online. When asked about unemployment claims with the new federal programs, both Gatts and Bartolotta indicated that their offices are waiting for further direction from the Federal Government. Leslie Grenfell, Executive Director Southwestern Pennsylvania Area Agency on Aging indicated that all Senior Centers have closed for socialization. Some centers are providing drive by food service. A list of those centers is available by calling the office. Finally, Donald Martin, Executive Director of Intermediate Unit 1 repeated the announcement from Governor Tom Wolf earlier in the day that mandated that all schools remain closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year. Martin indicated that students satisfactorily completing the remote learning programs being implemented will be qualified to graduate or advance in grade at the end of the school year.
April 10, 2020 2:31 am
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) – Pennsylvania schools will remain shuttered for the rest of the academic year because of the coronavirus pandemic under a new state order. Gov. Tom Wolf’s education secretary signed the closure order Thursday. The decision affects more than 1.7 million students in public and private K-12 schools. It means children will spend the rest of the academic year learning remotely. Wolf had previously closed schools indefinitely. Pennsylvania has seen more than 16,000 confirmed COVID-19 infections and 310 deaths.
April 10, 2020 2:19 am
Presbyterian SeniorCare Network verified today that there is one positive case among residents at Southminster Place, its personal care community on the Washington campus. This follows on the heels of its first positive case network-wide on April 4th, an employee from Southminster Place, who had not been to work since April 1st. The resident who tested positive has resided at Southminster Place for almost two years. “Although we did not have any residents who had exhibited any COVID-19 related symptoms, we decided to err on the side of abundant caution and provide the opportunity for residents that were at Southminster Place to be tested,” said President and CEO Paul Winkler. “While even one positive resident case is one too many, we are grateful that it appears that the exposure has been limited at Southminster Place,” Winkler added. Testing was arranged for 47 Southminster Place residents on Monday, April 6th and results were made available today for 46 residents with one pending. Those results were negative. Testing also came back negative for the eight team members, who through contact tracing had been identified as having sustained exposure to the positive employee.
April 9, 2020 4:47 pm
LOS ANGELES (AP) – “Saturday Night Live” will be back on the air this weekend with a show that abides by social distancing rules. NBC says the comedy sketch show will include include a “Weekend Update” news segment and original content from “SNL” cast members. The material will be produced remotely, in compliance with efforts to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Part of the pandemic’s fallout was a shutdown of movie and TV production that included “Saturday Night Live.” Its last original episode aired March 7. It will air at 11:30 p.m. Eastern, but NBC hasn’t yet said how it will handle the show’s trademark guest host and musical guest.
April 9, 2020 9:20 am
WASHINGTON (AP) – With a startling 6.6 million people seeking jobless benefits last week, the United States has reached a grim landmark: Roughly one in 10 workers have lost their jobs in just the past three weeks. The figures collectively constitute the largest and fastest string of job losses in records dating to 1948. They paint a picture of a job market that is quickly unraveling as businesses have shut down across the country because of the coronavirus outbreak. More than 20 million American may lose jobs this month.
April 9, 2020 4:02 am
NEW YORK (AP) – The S&P 500 index closed out its best week since 1974 with another gain Thursday after the Federal Reserve launched its latest unprecedented effort to support the economy through the coronavirus outbreak. The central bank’s announcement of programs to provide up to $2.3 trillion in loans to households, local governments and businesses overshadowed a report that another 6.6 million people applied for unemployment benefits last week. The Fed’s actions, as well as efforts by Congress, are aimed at alleviating the tremendous strains on the economy caused by the widespread business shutdowns and travel restrictions put in place to stem the spread of the virus.
April 9, 2020 4:01 am
NEW YORK (AP) – New York state reported a record increase in coronavirus deaths for a third consecutive day with 799, raising the total above 7,000. Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Thursday that despite the worsening death toll, New York City hospitals have so far stood up under the strain. State health officials now say they support people wearing cloth face coverings when they go out in public, especially in areas of “significant community transmission.” Mayor Bill de Blasio says the city needs continued social distancing plus more testing capacity to reach a point where the loosening of restrictions could be considered. (Photo: CNN)
April 9, 2020 4:00 am
LONDON (AP) – British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved out of intensive care where he was being treated for the new coronavirus, as his government told Britons to prepare for several more weeks in lockdown. In a statement Thursday, his office said Johnson “has been moved this evening from intensive care back to the ward, where he will receive close monitoring during the early phase of his recovery.” It said he was in extremely good spirits. Johnson had been in intensive care for three days after his symptoms worsened. News of Johnson’s improving condition was welcomed across the British political spectrum – and by U.S. President Donald Trump, who tweeted: “Great News: Prime Minister Boris Johnson has just been moved out of Intensive Care. Get well Boris!!!” (Photo: CNN)
April 9, 2020 3:59 am
WASHINGTON (AP) – Senators have torpedoed quick passage of a new coronavirus aid package. Democrats rejected a Trump administration request for $250 billion to boost a small business payroll fund and Republicans refused Democrats’ demand for another $250 billion for hospitals and states. The standoff doesn’t end the pursuit of more rescue funds. Democrats and Republicans agree the aid is urgently needed and talks continue. But it reinforces that Congress and the White House will need to find bipartisan agreement. Democrats are not opposed to boosting the payroll fund, but they want to ensure that the popular program delivers benefits to businesses in minority communities that are often under-served by traditional lenders.
April 9, 2020 3:58 am
WASHINGTON (AP) – In a first, small step toward reopening the country, the Trump administration has issued new guidelines to make it easier for essential workers who have been exposed to COVID-19 get back to work – if they have no symptoms. The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says essential employees, such as health care and food supply workers, who had been within 6 feet of a confirmed or suspected case of the coronavirus can return to work under certain circumstances. The CDC recommends taking their temperature before shifts, wearing face masks and practicing social distancing.