November 15, 2019 2:49 am
Police are investigating a robbery at Kay Jewelers at Tanger Outlets in South Strabane Township Wednesday night. Police say a person called 911 to report a robbery. Police say the robbery occurred just before eight o’clock when two men entered the store armed with hammers, ordered everyone inside to the ground, and immediately began smashing showcases with hammers and removing jewelry. Police say the business was open at the time of the robbery and two employees were assisting seven customers, including three children ages seven and under. No employees or customers were injured during the robbery. The total dollar amount stolen is not yet available. The suspects were described as a B/M, approximately 6’3 wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and a B/M, approximately 5’6, wearing a gray sweatshirt. Responding Officers used witness descriptions and surveillance footage to track a suspects vehicle to the Hyatt Hotel parking lot. Police say they were able to locate vehicle and discovered that it had been reported stolen to the Robinson Township Police Department earlier that evening. (Photo: WPXI)
November 14, 2019 5:20 pm
DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) – Ford is recalling over 168,000 F-150 pickup trucks in North America to fix an electrical problem that could cause engine stalling or fires. The recall covers certain trucks from the 2019 and 2020 model years built starting June 24 until Oct. 1. Ford says the positive battery terminal fastener may not be properly secured. That can cause systems such as power braking or steering assist and instrument panel displays to malfunction. Engines could stall, and there could be electrical shorts causing smoke or possibly a fire. Ford says it’s not aware of any fires, crashes or injuries. Dealers will inspect the battery cable joint and remove excess adhesive that may cause the problem. Then they’ll reassemble and tighten it. Owners will be notified starting the week of Nov. 25.
November 14, 2019 4:51 pm
FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) – Republican Gov. Matt Bevin says he will not contest results showing Democrat Andy Beshear winning the Kentucky governor’s race. Bevin made the dramatic announcement Thursday at the state Capitol on the same day election officials across Kentucky double-checked vote totals. Last week’s election results showed Bevin trailing Beshear by more than 5,000 votes of more than 1.4 million cast, for a lead of less than 0.4 percentage points. Bevin tried to nationalize his race for reelection, touting his close ties to President Donald Trump. Beshear kept his focus on state issues like education, health care and pensions. Bevin faced a growing chorus of state Republicans urging him to accept the results of the recanvass unless he can point to evidence of substantial voter fraud. Beshear had already declared victory and has been preparing to become governor in December. (Photo: CNN)
November 14, 2019 3:30 pm
ROME (AP) – Italy’s government declared a state of emergency Thursday in flood-ravaged Venice, seeking to release funds to repair the historic lagoon city after it was damaged by the highest tide in 50 years. A cabinet meeting approved a special decree that included 20 million euros ($21.7 million) in immediate financial aid aimed at helping the city recover. Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte described the flooding as “a blow to the heart of our country,” after spending Wednesday night in Venice, where world-famous monuments, homes and businesses were hit hard by the exceptional flooding. Venice’s mayor said the damage is estimated at “hundreds of millions of euros.” Mayor Luigi Brugnaro blamed climate change for the “dramatic situation” in the historical city and called for the speedy completion of the city’s long-delayed Moses flood defense project. The water levels reached 1.87 meters (over 6 feet, 1 inch) above sea level Tuesday, the second highest level ever recorded in the city and just 7 centimeters (2 1/2 inches) lower than the historic 1966 flood. Another wave of exceptionally high water followed Wednesday. The exceptional flooding was caused by southerly winds that pushed a high tide, exacerbated by a full moon, into the city. Although the waters have fallen from the peak reached late Tuesday, St Mark’s Square remained partially flooded on Thursday and a new peak water level is expected for Friday morning.
November 14, 2019 3:15 pm
PITTSBURGH (WPXI) – Rahmael Holt has been sentenced to death for the murder of New Kensington Officer Brian Shaw. Holt’s sentencing phase began Wednesday morning after he was found guilty of murdering New Kensington Officer Brian Shaw. Holt was found guilty of first-degree murder, first-degree murder of a law enforcement officer and two firearms violations.
November 14, 2019 11:48 am
SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (AP) – Authorities say a second victim of a Los Angeles area high school shooting has died. Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva says a 14-year-old boy died at a hospital. Earlier, a 16-year-old girl died from the shooting at Saugus High School in the city of Santa Clarita. Authorities say a student gunman shot five students and then himself around 7:30 a.m. in a school quad. His .45-caliber handgun was found with no bullets remaining when it was recovered. The three surviving victims remain hospitalized. The shooter is in grave condition. (Photo: CNN)
November 14, 2019 4:19 am
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) – Garth Brooks has won the Entertainer of the Year honor at the Country Music Association Awards. Brooks won the top award on a night when the contributions of women to country music were front and center, starting with a powerful opening performance from some of country music’s biggest female stars. Carrie Underwood, who co-hosted and performed during Wednesday’s show, was the lone female nominee in the Entertainer of the Year category. Brooks singled out Kelsea Ballerini and Luke Combs during his acceptance speech as some of the country artists he respected the most. Brooks performed his song “Dive Bar” during Tuesday’s ceremony. This post has been corrected to remove a mention of the song “Old Town Road.”
November 14, 2019 4:17 am
WASHINGTON (AP) – Several more witnesses set to testify in the House impeachment hearings are expected to say they too worried about President Donald Trump’s push for Ukraine to investigate Democrats as the U.S. withheld military aid. On Friday, lawmakers will hear from the U.S. ambassador to Ukraine, Marie Yovanovitch, who was ousted in May at Trump’s direction.
Of the eight witnesses to testify next week is a National Security Council official, Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, who said he raised concerns in the White House about Trump’s push for investigations.
Democrats have scheduled a private deposition for Friday with the political counselor at the U.S. Embassy in Kyiv, David Holmes. An official familiar with the matter said Holmes is the one who overheard Sondland and Trump discuss Ukraine conducting investigations.
November 14, 2019 4:16 am
WASHINGTON (AP) – With historic impeachment hearings underway, Democrats and Republicans are hardening their arguments over the actions of President Donald Trump as they set out to win over a deeply polarized American public. Democrats say Wednesday’s extraordinary public session in the House revealed a striking account of Trump abusing his office. They point to pressing the newly elected president of Ukraine for political investigations of rival Democrats, all while holding up needed military aid. While Democrats use the words “bribery” and “extortion,” Republicans counter that the hearing showed none of that. They say the two seasoned diplomats at the witness table had, at best, second-hand accounts of Trump’s July 25 call with Ukraine’s president. Republicans maintain there was no pressure and note that eventually the aid flowed, though only after Congress intervened.
November 14, 2019 4:11 am
WASHINGTON CO., Pa. – (WPXI) – A woman said she’s called 911 and Pennsylvania State Police for over a week about several abandoned cars on Interstate-79. Kathy Williams commutes from Washington County to the city every day. She said several abandoned cars are sitting on the shoulder of I-79 North – one is near the Bridgeville exit, and another is on the shoulder near Collier. Williams told our news partners at Channel 11 the most dangerous vehicle on the interstate is an abandoned van sitting right up against the ramp to Exit 60 at Crafton/Moon Run. She said every single day, drivers think that van is in traffic trying to exit, so cars line up behind it — only to realize it’s abandoned and they need to get around it. “People have swerved to get back on the highway to get back off the highway to get off the highway. It’s really scary,” Williams said. Adding to the problem, some of the abandoned cars are really tough to see late at night or when snow is covering them.